Workshop papers, conference panels, invited workshops etc. can be found on my CV
- Barr, V., “Disciplinary Thinking, Computational Doing:
Collaborating for Mutual Enrichment”,
New Directions for Computing Education: Embedding Computing Across
publication expected Fall 2016.
- Barr, V., “Disciplinary Thinking, Computational Doing: Promoting
While Transforming Computer Science Enrollments”, ACM Inroads, June
- Barr, V. and Trytten, D. “Using Turingscraft CodeLab to Support CS1
Students as They Learn
to Program”, ACM Inroads, June 2016.
- Barr, V., "Computational Thinking", Computing Handbook, 3rd
Edition , edited by Teofilo Gonzalez and Allen Tucker, Chapman &
Hall/CRC Press, April 2014
- Barr, V., Burkett, A., and Webb, N., "Introducing Blake
Browser: William Blake and Computational Analysis", CUR Quarterly,
- Barr, V., "Create Two, Three, Many Courses: An Experiment in
Contextualized Introductory Computer Science", Proceedings of
Consortium for Computing in Colleges – Northeast Region
(CCSCNE-2012), Hamden, CT, 2012.
- Barr, V. and Stephenson, C., "Bringing Computational Thinking to
K-12: What is Involved and What is the Role of the Computer
Science Education Community?", ACM Inroads, 2011.
- Striegnitz, K., and Barr, V., "Can Computers Think? - an introduction
to computer science, programming, and artificial intelligence",
AAAI Spring Symposium, 2008.
- Barr, V. and Siefring, E. "Verification of Lexicalized Tree Adjoining Grammars", TAG+7 Workshop on Tree Adjoining Grammars, May 2004, Vancouver.
- Barr, V. "A Proposed Model for Effective
Verification of Natural Language Generation Systems",
Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference
(FLAIRS), May 2003, St. Augustine, Florida, pp. 208-212.
- Barr, V. and Klavans, J. "Verification and Validation of Language Processing Systems: Is It
Evaluation?", with Judith L. Klavans, ACL 2001 Workshop on Evaluation
Methodologies for Language and Dialogue Systems, July 2001, Toulouse,
pp. 34 - 40.
- Barrv, V. "A Quagmire of Terminology: Verification & Validation,
Testing, and Evaluation," FLAIRS-2001, Key West, May 2001.
- Gonzalez, A. and Barr, V. "Validation and verification of intelligent systems - what are
they and how are they different?" with Avelino Gonzalez, Journal of
Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, Volume 12,
Number 4 October 2000.
- My PhD dissertation, done under the guidance of Casimir Kulikowski at Rutgers University, is Applications of Rule-Base Coverage Measures to Expert System Evaluation (1996)
- BuzzFeed Women in Development Group, March,
- "The Toy Aisle Still Matters:
The State of Women in STEM", Hofstra University, October, 2015.
- "Disciplinary Thinking, Computational Doing: Promoting
While Transforming Computer Science Enrollments", STEM Ed Institute,
University of Massachusetts at
Amherst, October, 2015.
- "One Data Set, Two Stories", Microsoft Research,
- Women's Institute for Summer Enrichment, UC
Center (Team for Research in Ubiquitous Secure Technology), June,
- "The Toy Aisle Still Matters: The State of Women in Computing",
Brown University, November, 2014.
- "Blake, Biofuel, and Bribery: Promoting Interdisciplinary
Applications of Computing", Whitman College, September, 2014. Also
presented at Hofstra University, October, 2013.
- "Bridging the Faculty Digital Divide", Washington and Lee
University, December 2013.
- "Life at the Intersection: Interdisciplinarity and 21st Century
Computer Science", Lafayette College, November 2013.
- "Computer Science at Your Age!??!? What's Next?", NCWIT
Aspiration Awards Ceremony, NW Region, Portland, OR, April 2013.
- "We Love Computer Science So Much: Why Don't More Students Share the Love?", 51st ACM Southeast Conference, Keynote Address, May 2013.